RE: The simple problem with Tesla coiling now... Re: Xfmrs

At 12:59 PM 3/5/2007, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Brett Miller <brmtesla2@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry...all,

I think one of the key factors to ensuring our
collective nightmares do not come true with regard to
coiling disasters and subsequent regulation, has to do
with our methodology and how we mentally approach
solving our coiling problems.  If we were stricter on
ourselves, we would tend to be more strict in how we
instruct newcomers and beginners.  Critical thinking
should come first and assumptions and generalizations
should be avoided.

It is a lot of fun to us, but then those of us who
have been around for years have earned the right and
the ability to "play" around with this technology.  We
have demonstrated repeatedly that we can do so safely
and wisely.  I think there needs to be an end to
complacency...the kind that leads to us handing over
the plans to a 6-pack MOT stack to a beginner who
hasn't even built a flyback driver successfully.

What will foil your attempt to control the distribution of information is that
a) it's everywhere on the web already, sometimes with hideous inaccuracies.. so we might as well take it upon ourselves to make sure that the "correct" info is out there. Review those wikipedia pages, folks!

b) the archives of this list, and others, are widely available and searchable (and this is a *good thing*), so even if you walk someone through the baby steps first, the grown up steps are right there in the list traffic for someone to use.

know we can't always force someone to follow a HV
learning curve, but we should be trying for sure.  I
always strongly encourage those who ask me for "plans"
to study the science behind the device first and seek
to understand it fully.  By the time they accomplish
this, they should be able to design their own, and by
then they will have developed the mental tool kit
which will enable them to proceed safely.

But how would one decide who should and should not receive the "secrets of the guild" and when?.. to a certain extent, we happy few who do coiling are self regulating.. different people have different ideas of what's appropriate or not, and we rely on near-death experiences to regulate ourselves.

Surely, some fools will rush in and meet their untimely demise. Such is the case for many activities: rock climbing, winter mountain climbing, etc. There are calls for regulation following suitably spectacular or notorious events, but, overall, the regulatory environment for rock climbing today isn't hugely different than it was in the early 70s when I started. True, equipment manufacturers are structured differently. True, there are rules on where you can climb, but those are also to limit the damage from climbers as well as to address some perceived liability issue.

It's already basically impossible to buy a used pole pig in California as a private person from a supplier of the things (more for environmental reasons than liability).

And, let's be realistic, the vast majority of people (myself included) build tesla coils not to probe some new science, but because they provide a spectacular and potentially lethal display of electrical power. It's that frisson of cheating death by virtue of your skill and knowledge that provides the attraction. If the possibility, however remote, of death didn't exist, it would remove some of the fun.

This, too, is no different than other exciting activities. I have an acquaintance who builds and drives motorcyle dragsters. Sure, the skill and engineering to go fast is interesting, but it's also that idea that a moment's inattention or a minor building error might result in a spectacular crash and/or explosion lends to the excitement. Same for leading a pitch on a real mountain, or surfing a big wave, or jumping a horse over a 6 foot fence. You've practiced, you've taken precautions, but in the back of your mind is the certain knowledge as you start that there's a non-zero (and appallingly high, in some cases) chance that you'll get hurt or killed. That adds to the excitement and satisfaction when you successfully complete the challenge.

I am the type of person who attempts to think
rationally, critically, and skeptically in all areas
of life, not just during scientific endeavors.  I am
not always successful, and I realize not everyone
wants to think like this all the time.  However,
coiling should always be approached scientifically.
People who want to just "throw things together
randomly and see what happens" ought to just stick to
ignition coils and 12v flyback drivers.

But should it.. if your goal is to find new knowledge (certainly worthy), I'd point out that some famous person (who I cannot recall right now) said that the most valuable scientific discoveries come from something where someone goes "that's funny"

if your goal is for self improvement, then the strategy you've outlined above will naturally be the one that you fall into.

if your goal is for entertainment (which is the source of many hobby activities), then it's less certain that your strategy would work.

I think that for the latter case, our best bet is to make sure that we fully inform folks of the way things work. Not in the form of lengthy disclaimers, nor in the "reefer madness" hype, but in credible, rational, convincing diagrams and prose that is simple and direct.

I am reminded of the change in the disclaimer on the back of ski-lift tickets over the past few years. It used to be that there would be a whole page of very fine print describing in detail all the horrible things that might befall you as a skier ("including but not limited to ...."). I'm sure nobody except the authors and very bored people sitting on a stuck lift ever read it. Now it says something like: "Skiing is dangerous. You are responsible for avoiding hazards and skiing safely."

When people are faced by a recitation of obvious hazards, they tend to ignore it all. Quickly now! How many of you have bought a ladder in the last 10 years? How many of you have read all the warning labels attached thereon? How many of you have stood on the next to top step, just to reach a bit higher? How about the last hammer you bought? Do you coolly and rationally consider the material you are hammering? Analyze it for the probability of fracture and brittleness? Have a metallurgical analysis done of a random sample of the nails to confirm that their properties are what you think they are? No.. you get the hammer, and start pounding nails, trusting in your experience with hammering before, and accepting the fact that occasionally a nail fractures, and even more rarely a piece of the nail or the thing you're hammering into flies off, and even more rarely than that, hits you in the eye.

I don't think a few electrocutions (worst case
scenario) would make it impossible for us to find MOTs
or build tesla coils anymore.  I don't think a total
alarmest view is justified in light of any evidence
I've seen.  When the internet started becoming
accessable in most every middle class home, kids
started finding pyrotechnic plans on the internet (the
same plans that had been available on BBS's for the
previous decade.  They were now easier to get.  There
were a few "incidents".  Nevertheless...if a person
wanted to find those chemicals nowadays, it would not
be hard for someone with good chemistry training to do
so even in today's climate.  I think there is a useful
analogy here.

I agree with this.. but I think that tesla coiling is already in that situation. You can't just whip on down to the local Home Depot and buy a NST or MOT. You can't just call up "transformers-r-us" and have them deliver a pole pig to your doorstep. You have to scrounge the things. Or, you find someone who knows where to get them and what to say to the company that sells them. And that someone will typically ask you why you want to know or will make an on-the-spot evalution of your suitability. Just like trying to buy metallic sodium over the counter at the local chemical supply place.

So far as I know, there isn't anybody who sells "big coil" parts randomly to all comers. There's some sort of inherent credentialling process.. for instance, most industrial suppliers will only sell if you have a written or fax'ed order on letterhead or standard forms, and perhaps a business license number or resale permit. Sure, you can fake all that up with your computer, but the work required to do that is itself a limiter of casual tomfoolery. You're unlikely to build a pole pig TC on a whim because you just downloaded the plans off the internet. It takes too long to get all the parts, even if you DO have the knowledge and experience.

Terry had a good point, though, with the high powered solid state off line stuff. All of a sudden, you're in a regime where anyone with a credit card and some time can make something truly dangerous. Maybe Ebay isn't the best way to sell this sort of thing? Maybe that's really a decision for the seller, though?

Jim