Re: first non NST coil questions

Hi Justin, all,

I'm not sure what the "magic number" is to where
the power levels become too great for forced air
cooling alone to adequately quench a spark gap.
However, I do think that there comes a point to where
it's more practical and economical to just upgrade to
a quality rotary gap than to employ the draconian mea-
sures that would be required to properly quench an
air cooled stationary gap system. IIRC, Richard Hull
used to state that anything over 3 kVA required a
rotary gap but I think there are a few coilers that have
built successful RQ style gaps running power levels
up to 5 or 6 kVA. IMHO, with really large coils (>
10 kVA) it is sometimes necessary to use a combi-
nation of rotary and air cooled stationary gaps in series
to help commutate the generated heat. That's what I do
with my Green Monster that runs as high as 15 to 20
kVA power levels and Cameron Prince also does this
with his large coil.

http://www.teslauniverse.com/members/drieben/
http://www.teslauniverse.com/gallery/v/coils/polepig/

My $.02,