Motors and MOTS misbehaving.

Original poster: "Scott Bogard" <teslas-intern@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All,
I have been building and playing with my 6-in 6-MOT tesla coil lately, and 2 strange and slightly disconcerting things are happening. Firstly I keep burining out MOTs (I have a bunch, but I would like to run it two nights in a row without replacing part of the power supply). I am using a filter composed of a bunch of ceramic capacitors to ground (a total of 600 pf, 300 from -6kV to +6kV, and 150 from +6kV to ground, and 150 from -6kV to ground), and two wire wound resistors, filled with welding rods (so they are kind of inductors, I don't have a clue what the inductance is, but the resistance is 50 ohms a piece) and of course safty gaps (which do fire, when it is out of tune (like when I am using small top loads, or my blower is too slow)). Tonight, one of the mots toward the center burned out (how is this possible?). I noticed some power arcing in the spark gap right before it went.
    Secondly, I have a motor, running a blower for my spark gap.
Origionally, it was in tended for an ASRG, but it slowed down considerably when I turned on the power. So I moved it onto a differant breaker thinking it was a power draw issue, it didn't help. So, I checked for high voltage leaking in, I found some, fixed it, and the motor still slowed down. So, I gave up on it for an ASRG, as obviously it was just not strong enought for the job, and now I'm using it as a blower, it still slows down. I replaced the dimmer switch controlling it with a variac, it still slows down. It works fine at full speed, but once you reduce the speed to about half it starts doing wierd stuff. I did an experiment earlier, and noticed somthing bizzarre, when I use a small topload (or no top load at all), the bahavior is much more extreme (It almost stops!). The motor is an AC/DC 15000RPM 1/8HP vacuum cleaner motor, and although the case is plastic, it is mostly sheilded by sheet metal and the blower housing (I don't believe they are grounded however). Does anyone have any experience on this? Thanks for your input.
Scott Bogard.

Live Search Maps ­ find all the local information you need, right when you need it. http://maps.live.com/?icid=hmtag2&FORM=MGAC01