Re: How low (frequency) can you go? Re: Wireless Power Transmission

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx In a message dated 3/27/07 12:18:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
>At some point, doesn't it stop being a Tesla Coil and just be a BIG
>HV transformer, when you get down to <1 kHz.  Or maybe the
>distinguishing feature of a TC is air core and the resonant system?
>
>After all, they build large resonant transformer systems for HV testing.

A while back (three years ago!) , Antonio corrected some of my musings by pointing out:

"A Tesla coil is, precisely, only the system composed of a transformer with capacitive loads at both sides, that transfers energy initially stored in the primary capacitor to the secondary capacitance."

Antonio has made the distinction that he considers some of the SSTC's to *not* be Tesla Coils by this definition. Although some disagreed with him then, and no doubt will now...

Funny how we always have these discussions about keeping the Tesla Coil Mailing List on-topic, yet we haven't agreed on the definition of a Tesla Coil?

-Phil LaBudde

AOL now offers free email to everyone. Find out more about what's free from AOL at <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000339>AOL.com.