Re: need help/capacitors and AC

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The Erms between your two bushings is 15 kV. Since the center tap is grounded, each bushing is 7.5 kV with respect to ground.

Most MMC designs require approx 18 caps in series for .0083 uF and then they are paralleled to get the cap value you require. With a 15/60, two parallel strings of 18 in each series string would give .0166 uF --- a good value for your match.

If you want good output sparks use a 6 or 8 inch ID PVC tube for your sec with approx 1,000 turns on it. Height/dia ratio of 4.5:1 to determine winding length, then divide by 1,000 turns to get the correct OD for your wire size.

You don't need 1,200 caps for an MMC with this xmfr, just 36 pcs.

Dr. Resonance

This is Matthew Boddicker

I am currently designing a MMC, but I need the right capacitor for the job. I am going with cornell-dubilier caps, but my recent calculations said that I would require around 1200 caps for a MMC.

My question is how does a capacitor react to different frequencies of current? the cornell-dubilier web page says that the cap can handle 500Vac at 60Hz. if my circuit for my coil operates on a much higher frequency will I require a higher ac voltage rating or a lower one?

last question but equally relevant. My NST's output is 15,000 volts, is that the voltage between both output nodes or is 15,000 the voltage between one node and ground?

Thanks,
Matthew Boddicker

Download Messenger. Join the i'm Initiative. Help make a difference today. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM_APR07