Re: Research Project (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 12:38:49 -0700
From: Frank <fxrays@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Research Project (fwd)

Making neon type tubes is a little harder that just sticking wires in glass.
You need special wire that will seal with the
glass, typically either platinum or Dumet.
Regular copper will not work. There should be
some sort of electrode on the wire, not just a stub of wire.
Then you need a manifold to attach the argon and
control the amount needed to back fill.
Lastly, as Dr. Resonance said, you need to
bombard the tube to remove any entrapped gas
before back filling. You can do this electrically
or by controlled baking of the tube in a specific
oven while under vacuum and then sealing the tube after filling.

One question, why argon? It requires a higher
voltage to ionize. Neon is a much better gas as
it will fire at a lower voltage and is easier to see.

For any interested, I have a copy of an early
article on how to make a Geissler tube at home.
It will give you an idea of how to make a vacuum
tube. Of interesting note, they fill the tube
with gasoline vapor and flash it off to outgas
and lower the tube to the correct vacuum level.
Not something you would do at close range!

Frank