RE: [TCML] flourescent light trick

Are you saying that the tube glows brighter if a breakout point is not used, and is dimmer if a breakout point is used?  This makes sense, as running without a breakout point permits the topload to achieve a higher voltage, resulting in a greater E-field.  Neat observation if I understand correctly - I've not tried that!

I didn't understand the consequences of grounding vs. hand-holding the tube.  Two variables here.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA