[TCML] flourescent light trick

Hey all,
     I noticed an interesting thing last time I ran my 6-in coil.  When I use a breakout point, touching a fluorescent tube to the ground made it lite up very dim, as compared to held in the air.  alternatively, when I did not use a breakout point, the tube would light up much brighter if one end was touched to the ground.  if you were more than 15 feet or so away from the coil, it would not light at all (which makes sense).  Why is there such a difference between using a breakout point?  Thanks.

Scott Bogard.