Re: [TCML] Primary

Hey Clive...

Winding a primary can be frustrating...
Here are some tips on making the job easier..
Set up your primary form base first! Be sure to align the notches in a spiral and not in concentric circles.

Flatten the inside turn end of the tubing and drill it for a connector point to attach the cap wire.

If using Copper tubing, normally it is wound in a double coil in the box, use the prewound shape to your advantage. Lay the tubing on your form and make small adjustments to each turn as you lay it onto the form ( when you bend copper tubing it hardens the copper making it more difficult to bend again).

If you need to "reform" the tubing into a coil, wind the tubing around a 5 gallon bucket ( start at the upper end of the bucket) once done, it will slide off the bucket since the bucket is tapered. This will give you a starting point to work with for the primary winding. If you have a helper, this will make things a bit easier.

Consider the voltage you will be putting into the primary, this will determine the distance between turns of the primary. The higher the primary voltage, the greater the distance between turns. Also consider the tuning point attachment device, if it is bulky it will allow arcing to the next turns on the primary coil.

Scot D

Clive Hansen wrote:

Hello,
I am building my first coil and am pretty far along in construction. So far I am using a 15kv 30ma nst to drive the coil. I have build a bottle cap which I calculated to be around 8nf. I have a static gap and am going with a 13 turn primary and a 1100 turn 4 inch diameter secondary with 24 gauge wire. My question is this: Can the primary be wound with 14 gauge house wire? I had quite a few difficulties winding one out of copper tubing.

-Clive