RE: [TCML] can you connect the secondary *directly* to the primary?

Connecting the secondary base to the primary is bad for several reasons.  It should work just fine, but...

Safety-wise, this places high-current primary-side voltage on the secondary, making touching any part of the secondary, topload, or secondary discharge lethal.

Realize too that whatever RF current comes off the topload into sparks, the return current must travel through the secondary base.  If the base is connected directly to (RF) ground, everyone is happy.  But if instead it connects to the primary, that return current will probably flow to the NST and mains power lines (BAD!) in searching for a path to ground.

There really is no functional advantage to connecting the secondary base to the primary.  But if the inside primary lead can be grounded, there may be insulation advantages to connecting the secondary base directly to it.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA