Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 20:25:59 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Hi Bart,

Yes, I am in the same boat as you are there - I can't under-
stand how complete isolation of the charge and discharge
circuit is going to mechanically be achieved with a single
rotary gap either. The only way that I can visualize it is by
setting the flying electrodes assymetrically (as opposed to
symetrically) along the disc. Or you could keep the flying
electrodes in their usual symetrical periphrial alignment
and off set the two pairs of stationary electrodes. It seems
that you would have to have one pair of "charging" stationary
electrodes and one pair of "discharging" stationary electrodes
and the flying electrodes would have to be spaced to where one
did NOT align with the "charging" stationaries at the same time
that another flying electrode was aligned with the "discharge"
stationaries. Immagine the stationary electrode pairs set at
3 and 9 o'clock position - 9 o'clock for charging circuit, 3 o'
clock for discharging. Then while a flying electrode was aligned
with the 9 o'clock "charging" position, you could not SIMULTA-
NEOUSLY have a another flying electrode lined up in the 3 o'clock
"discharge" posistion. Otherwise, you would be defeating the pur-
pose of charge/discharge isolation. And there would still have to
be a "common" return between the charge and discharge circuit
so even here I don't perceive TOTAL circuit isolation, although I
do believe that the power supply could be removed from "shorting"
into the discharge cycle in this manner. Is this making any sense to
anyone else, as it's kind of hard to fully explain in words and I don't
have access to any schematic writing or drafting program.

David Rieben