Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 11:19:00 -0700
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Double Throw Spark Gap (fwd)

Interesting John. As I was looking through the specs of both Chris and
Steve, one thing stood out; A slower rotation of the disc would be
beneficial in the charging circuit (as would increased rotational
diameter and increased number of rotating electrodes). I was looking at
steady charging and not associating a precharge storage cap in the
process. This will no doubt allow the cap to be charged by the energy
stored in Cs and the fact that there is minor charging occurring during
that time.

In Chris's case, I calculated 12 bangs of the gap before the storage cap
would need to be charged again. In the same respect, to run a higher
rotational speed or simply increase charge time, the stationary
"charging" electrodes could be maximized to allow vastly increased
mechanical dwell and really help the recharge situation as well as the
number of bangs before quench.

I mentioned in this thread somewhere how different the main gap is from
a normal RSG. Normally, we set electrodes close and let timing control
the bangs. Here, that may not be the best thing to do as it might start
conduction earlier than wanted. However, the static gap on the front end
will not only help the quench but will also allow a narrow gap width on
the main gap (ensuring timing between charge and main gap firing is
separated as desired) and allow voltage control in the main gap. This
gap will be controlled by both timing and voltage.

Take care,
Bart