Re: plans (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 03:00:10 +0000
From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: plans (fwd)

Hi Dr Res, all,

Well, I do have a dual MOT driven coil, but I don't think it qualifies
as an "SISG" coil, if I correctly understand the use if that terminology. It
uses an 833A transmitter triode tube as the "switch", so I believe this coil
would be classified as a "vacuum tube" Tesla coil (VTTC). It is stacatto
controlled too, so as to allow higher power levels to be pushed through
at lower duty cycles and allow for longer sword-like sparks w/out popping
the breaker and/or burning up the the tube plate! It is based on Cameron
Prince's modification of Steve Ward's original 833A vacuum tube coil
plans for 22" to 24" sparks. Since I followed Cameron's modification
with the 2 seriesed MOTs which are then fed to a level shifter voltage
doubler circuit, this allows up to around 7 kV peak voltage on the
tube plate, so I can get up to 36" or 38" sword-like pulsed, spark dis-
charges with mine. Although this consdierably exceeds the tube's plate
voltage rating, I've never had any problems running it in the stacatto mode
and the plate only glows a dull orange.

David Rieben