The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 06:36:31 -0400
From: Jared Dwarshuis <jdwarshuis@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Pupman <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: The Poynting vector, wire length and inductance (fwd)

Hi RWW,

   All is easily explained if you merely consider the  source....

Matt D.
……………………………………………………………

The source was an electromagnetics  text book. We took the E field equations
for a solenoid  and multiplied the numerators and denominators by  a factor
of 2pi and regrouped.

There are no solenoids with indeterminate wire lengths. Thus we are entirely
justified with this step as it reflects physicality.

When we include this information we can see that the E field is along the
entire length of wire (no big surprise is it?)

We can also see that the voltage is impressed across the entire length of
wire (no big surprise is it?)

Hence wire length is a squared function in the classic inductance formula.

Jared Dwarshuis