Re: [TCML] Small coil results

--- David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ok, I supppose I didn't read Ben's original posting
> closely enough.
> I was making that proverbiable mistake of "assuming"
> that he must
> be running with a RSG to even suggest a 5K BPS rate.
> Maybe
> also when you mentioned "fire and clear quickly
> enough to support
> 5,000 BPS" made me think of MECHANICAL seperation to
> "clear". I think we are definitely in agreement that
> that kind of
> a BPS claim with a static gap, when the line
> frequency is 50 or
> 60 hz, SEEMS absurd, though. Anyone care to explain
> how this
> could be?
>
> David

It is a mistake to assume the break rate of static
spark gap is yoked to the AC mains frequency. If the
charging current is stiff enough and the tank cap is
small enough, a simple static gap can achieve multiple
firings during each AC peak.  In other words, the gap
fires in "burst mode" near the peak of each
half-cycle.  As there are 120 peaks per second at
60Hz, the break rate could get "up there" pretty
quickly even with only a few firings per peak.
Quenching with such a system may be poor or
non-existant, but the original post never claimed good
efficiency for the small coil.

Even so, 5000bps seems pretty amazing--more like a
continuous arc than any discernable "break", or
switching action.  Unfortunately, I don't know enough
about air spark gaps to support or refute the claim of
5000bps from a 60Hz mains input.  An (o'scope) picture
would be worth 1000 speculative words!

Greg