Re: [TCML] Modeling a compact ribbon primary

Hi All,

Bart Anderson and Kurt Schraner were kind enough to point out
that the nominal inductance of 32uH which I used for this coil
is incorrect.  The real value is closer to 19uH.  The error
occurred because I used a calculation appropriate for a wire coil
and assumed that the ribbon inductance would not be very much
different.

Well, as Bart and Kurt have shown me, it is actually rather less.

After some experimenting, I obtained a reasonable numerical model
by using four parallel wire filaments, spaced across the width of
the ribbon and connected in parallel.  The resulting inductance
is 18.9uH.

Those notes on the ribbon primary coil

 http://abelian.org/tcml-notes/080728.html

have now been updated to reflect this.

Some further modelling shows that the current distribution
across the ribbon is concentrated near the edges with less
current passing down the middle.   In this four filament model,
75% of the current is passing down the outer two filaments.

--
Paul Nicholson