Re: [TCML] Optimizing coil performance

Hi David,

I see that you are running synch and since you're running synch,
even the relatively large .136 uFd is still very STR for a 10 kVA, 14.4 kV pig power supply. You could try either upsizing your primary cap although it would probably require a colossal uFd rating to actually make it LTR for the pole pig (something like .4 to .6 uFd - I'm too lazy to do the math for the EXACT value ;^) OR the other option would be to break away form the synchronous route and ramp up your BPS by going asynch.

Also, you didn't mention what you were using for your top
load. The size and shape of your top load can have a signifi-
cant affect on overall performance. With the available power that you have, I would go for a very large to toroid to maxi-
mize this effect. Check out my big coil at:
http://dawntreader.net/hvgroup/david/gm.html

and see a poor qulity video of it in operation at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWZD3M-nye8

O yea, what are you using to ballast your piggy? You could
be powering your coil with a sub-station transformer but
if your ballasting is too restrictive for the output that you
desire, then your output will still be sub-par. Of course
you did state that you're running at 10 kVA, so I assume
that your ballast is allowing 10 kVA's worth of input
power, which should be good for at least 10 to 12 ft. arcs. Is your control panel metered so that you can
verify that you are actually processing 10 kVA?

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kronstein" <david_kronstein@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 12:41 AM
Subject: [TCML] Optimizing coil performance

Hi all,

I'm getting my Tesla coil up and running again, and I'm revisiting the design trying to improve performance. Currently the coil struggles to get 7-8' arcs with 10kVA input, with the spark gap firing at a capacitor voltage of around 20-24kV. The current specs of the coil are:

Power:    10kVa 14.4kV pole pig, arc welder as variable inductor ballast
Capacitor:   0.136uF 24kV MMC (originally 0.204uF)
Spark gap:   240bps SRSG
Prmary: 3/8" copper tube, 3/8" spacing, 13" ID flat pancake, currently tapped at 6.7 turns
Secondary:    20AWG, 8.5" dia, 48" winding length
Toroid:      8" x 24"
Fres:     ~100kHz

What would you guys recommend changing or upgrading to get better performance? I'm currently thinking of getting a variac to control input power, because the variable inductor affects optimum RSG phasing.

Regards,
David Kronstein