Re: [TCML] Still poor performance

Hi Nicholas,

Sounds frustrating. Since the beginning I pointed at the gap (mainly due to this being the biggest area of problems). I know your using .0125uF MMC CD caps and I know your specs. The tuning really should be at 9.6 turns with the larger toroid. The two gap arrangement I assume are the same cylinder size previously used (1" diameter). Gap spacing should be just under 1/4" (about 0.22") with 2 cylinders.

Feel the gap electrodes after running and grounding out the MMC to check for temperature. How hot is it? Too hot to keep your fingers on? If it's warm but not hot, and if the coil is tuned, I have to wonder if the secondary has some carbon track under the windings (not visible) or even a shorted turn. Something is robbing power.

I personally would not add another gap type or different component at this time. The components you have are adequate. It's a matter I think of finding where the loss is. Regarding the primary connection you asked about. My coil is wired just the opposite. It really shouldn't matter, but it's something you could easily check to put it out of your mind.

Basic hookup:             Toroid
                         0----0
                           (
               Cap         (
N--------O-------||-------) (Sec
S       Gap            Pri) (
T--------O----------------) (RF Ground

Best regards,
Bart

Nicholas J. Goble wrote:
Thanks to all your help and advice in my thread "Toroid Problems". However, my coil is still performing very poorly. My 9/30 NST is putting out 7 inch sparks at the very best. Here are the improvements I've made.

1. I've made all connections more secure. I am using terminals and bolts to make connections to my spark gap instead of cold solder joints.

2. I've shortened all connections in the primary circuit by building a stand/cabinet for the coil.

3. I've upgraded all the tank wire to 10 gauge stranded copper wire. 4. I built a new spark gap. Instead of the multiple spark gap, I am now using a single electrode spark gap. The electrodes consist of two pieces of copper pipe. I think that this gap is easier to adjust than my previous gap, and as a result, quenches better.

5. I made a new primary tap. I bought two small metal fuse clamps and soldered them together. They seem to work perfectly.

6. I build a smaller toroid. It looks like crap (clothes hangars + paper mache + Al foil), but at least I'm getting some breakout.

With the new toroid on, I'm lucky to even get a 1 inch breakout. I made a breakout point by resting some spare 1/4" copper tubing on the top of the toroid and got about 4-5" sparks. Without the toroid on, I'm getting 7" sparks at the absolute best. Any suggestions?

One side question, does it matter how I connect the primary coil to the circuit? The inside of my primary is connected to my MMC and the outer tap is connected to the spark gap. Is this significant?
Thanks

Nicholas Goble