Re: [TCML] First ever Pig SISG.... inadvertently

It makes sense that the tuning is much tighter with an SISG. There is much less resistance in the circuit to reduce the Q since the IGBT's have a much lower on resistance than a spark gap.

Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: <FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 1:25 AM
Subject: [TCML] First ever Pig SISG.... inadvertently

Folks-

   FWIW, last night I became the first person to run a  SISG coil from a
pole pig.

Before anybody gets *too* excited, it was just my medium 6" coil, and I
really hadn't started the evening with plans to use the  Pig at all.

Yesterday I finished mounting the SISG4 PCB's I got from Mark Dunn. All six boards, since I was planning on running at high voltage. I was originally
planning on running the SISG with my 12" pig coil, but I  figured I could
give it a try on my 6" coil first. After all, I've never run  anything but
spark-gap coils before, and if I was gonna fry all that silicon, I wanted to at
least see it work!

   I had been using a SRSG with this 6" coil, so I had  a 15/60 NST and a
Maxwell 37667 cap (.030 uF). I hastily made up a bridge rectifier, with 40 diodes in series in each leg (UF4007, 1A 1000V, 75nS fast-recovery). Added a 200 Ohm 100W power resistor in each DC leg to limit the peak current through the
diodes if something went wrong.

Well, I was mighty disappointed when I couldn't get anything to happen. Only thing that happened as I cranked up the variac was noticeable arcing on the brushes near the top end. No noise or sparks from anywhere on the coil.
But at least no smoke or tripped breakers.

A quick test showed that the rectifier was in fact working, as a nice DC
arc set fire to an alligator clip gapped on the rectifier  output. Hooked
everything back up and still nothing. This is where having test equipment ready
to go would have been very helpful... and one of several  times during the
evening that I almost threw in the towel.

   I thought about it for a coupla minutes, and then  figured I might as
well use the "bigger hammer" method of troubleshooting. After all, it was a clear, cold night outside on the driveway, and if something's gonna fail, I want some flames to show me where the problem is! So I disconnected the NST and
rolled out the Pig.

As I was hooking up the pig, I realized I may have inadvertently solved the problem. I suddenly recalled the importance of having the cap tuned to the power supply with a SISG coil. But my .03uF LTR cap was only workable with
the 15/60 because I had been running a SRSG. I paused to  contemplate
decreasing the cap size to work with the NST and SISG, but then I would have had to take the time to increase the primary turns, and would've lost bang size. I
figured hooking up the pig was easier, so that's what I did.

   Well, as soon as I lit off the pig I at least got  *some* kind of
response. The neighboring kids showed up, and were very helpful in pointing out where the sparks/flames were coming from. For some reason everything wanted to fail on the side of the coil facing *away* from me, and they were on the "dark"
side of the coil not illuminated by the garage lights so  they could see
better.

First off, the primary arced hot to the ground terminals a couple inches
below it. For a few minutes I thought it was  inter-turn arcing on the
primary (which *really* confused me!) until the kids managed to catch it and point
it out. I re-spaced the primary away from this  area and that took care of
that problem.

The *next* problem was interesting. The inner turn of the primary arced *hot* to the bottom (ground) wire of the secondary. I spaced the secondary up a coupla inches, and tried intervening insulators, to no avail. I thought the primary was arcing to the secondary, but on a little more reflection I realized that it was the secondary arcing to the primary! In my haste I had intentionally neglected to hook up a grounding wire from an RF ground to the ground terminal on the coil. I had never run this coil that way before. I poked a 10" piece of rebar into the wet ground, ran a #10 wire to it four feet away,
and problem solved! I never realized how important having *any*  ground
reference was, but it was a night and day difference with this setup.

   I finally got some streamers off the thing - all of  24", and somewhat
brush-like. That's when I had a sigh of relief that at least  the SISG was
actually working. But it was pretty anemic. The control panel for the pig has ancient, low-tech meters - a moving vane AC ammeter and a voltmeter. It was interesting to see the voltmeter climb as I cranked up the ganged variac, until suddenly it hit the breakdown point of the SISG and the current went to the
ballast limit (60 Amps).

   The Pig, by the way, is a 10kVA 14/4kV unit I got  from Resonance
Research. So putting 15,000 watts into a coil and only getting a 24" brush discharge was pretty pathetic. This wasn't the first time I had run the pig into this coil, though. A while back I had done almost the same thing, trying to figure out why I couldn't get the calculated output from this coil with the SRSG. It seemed to me that it wanted more power. So I gave it "more cowbell" with the pig. The Pig had also hit the current limit on this occasion, but with only
50" sparks. The power resistors in the Terry filter glowed bright  orange,
and cracked their ceramic cores when they cooled down. So I knew I was putting
a lot of power *into* the system, I just couldn't figure out where it  was
going!

Last night I got a hunch and changed the Maxwell cap with another one I had gotten from the same source. But got the same results. Both caps still read the correct capacitance value, and the coil tuned with the primary taps where the calculations and the Terry Tuner said it should be. So I added a .010
uF MMC string in parallel to the Maxwell.

   After some retuning, *that* made a big difference!  The tuning point is
surprisingly sharp with the SISG. At least, much sharper than it was with the SRSG. I think that's because the SISG just will not fire until the voltage is high enough, whereas the SRSG would allow lower-bang discharges to get the streamer going, which then would add enough topload to bring it into tune.

   So I managed 60" strikes to ground off the  thing before the night was
over. I have no idea where the BPS was, but it seemed perfectly happy running almost eh same intensity from two breakout points simultaneously. My 8x36"
home-made toroid is so smooth, if I had no breakout  point it wouldn't do
anything at all! Just faint corona off the strike rail! One piece of aluminum foil tape, taped *flat* to the edge of the toroid, suddenly allowed full-length
sparks!

No primary strikes, but many hot ground strikes. I did run it for about half an hour total. Still pulled 60 Amps through the Pig primary. I did have
another little flame when one of the diode  strings in the rectifier arced
over, but after some physical re-location and no  repairs the thing worked
exactly the same.

   After all that, the IGBT heatsinks (all 24 of  them!) were universally
"barely warm". At least they were all doing their part. All the caps were cold. But if I run it again tonight, I'm going to make the entire primary cap an
MMC.

My first solid-state coil! I was very eager to see streamers without the
distraction of a spark gap. I was amazed at how loud the  arcs off the
topload were!

   ****Many thanks to Mark Dunn and Terry Fritz, for  their advice and
patience!****

Here's my SISG tips:

1. "Maxclips" for mounting the IGBTs work fine. I mounted the heatsinks to
the board, then put compound on the IGBTs and heatsinks, then dropped the IGBTs
into place on the board, then screwed on the clip, then went back and
soldered the IGBTs in. I figured this way, everything was in a happy clamped
position  before it got soldered solid.

2. The heatsinks are electrically hot on the SISG4 boards, so I took the
time to round off the corners to reduce any corona. Probably unnecessary...

3. I used a 47 Ohm (DigiKey P47W-2BK 2W 2% metal film) "charging" resistor.
I used a trim pot for the "turn-off" resistor (DigiKey 3296Y-502LF,  5k,
one-turn, top-adjust). I measured all of them before I installed them, and from the factory, they are all set to the "middle", at 2.222 k +/- 1 Ohm! Turned down to "20%" is about 400 Ohms. I ran them all at the factory setting of 2.222
k.

4. I put everything together with a 140W soldering gun. I never understood
the "use a low-wattage iron with heat-sensitive components" theory. I have more luck blasting it quickly, before the heat has time to spread up the lead...

5. "Balancing" resistors are 1% Metal Film (DigiKey 1.00MXBK 1/4W). I
figured these should be as precise as possible, after all I'm running 24 sections
in series...

6. When I first went to order, DigiKey was out of the .001 uF caps.And the
.0012 caps! But the next night, they suddenly had a big stock of the *new*
.001's (DigiKey PF2104, the -JB RoHS style). So it looks like that little
supply-chain hiccup has been resolved.

I'll let everybody know what happens when I run the "standard" SISG with
the "real" 12" pig coil. By my reckoning, the SISG  shouldn't last long!

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

48)