So, watt's a watt?: [TCML] How about some Tesla Coiling?

Hi Matt,

Yes, you definitely bring out some valid points
here. It reminds me of the "horsepower" rating
of consumer shop vacuum cleaners. Many of
them will have the horsepower rating stamped
on the side of the motor. Mine states "6.0 peak
horsepower". The word "peak" is the catcher as
we all know that there is no way that you can
continuously pull 6 horsepower from any stan-
dard 120 volt, 20 amp circuit without causing
a significant over-current condition, even if
the motor were running at 100% efficiency and
with a perfect 1.0 power factor, as 746 W x 6 =
4.476 kW and 4476/120 = 37.3 amps! Most
of our mid-sized and up SG coils produce "peak"
power levels in the multi-megawatts range.

David

----- Original Message ----- From: <Mddeming@xxxxxxx>