Re: [TCML] comment about new coilers

Hi Phil, All,

    I agree it is tedious for most people to have to  reread and repeat the
same stuff . It takes a really dedicated educator to go  over the same material
year after year to new classes. It's definitely not for  everyone.

     I believe it was a 19th century college  administrator who observed,
long before the invention of FAQ's, "If we could  just perfect the textbooks,
then we could have a clerk hand out the reading  assignments and hang two-thirds
of the faculty!" ;^)  I personally  feel that efficiency and effectiveness are
orthogonal dimensions, and human  contact has value even on trivial
questions. Actually taking the time to answer  someone's question says something very
different than directing them to a text,  even if the words are exactly the
same.
Questions requiring long, complex answers could be given a short one-on one
explanation and then a referral to a text site.

Perhaps Newbie questions could be keyed with [TCML-N] so that those who
don't want to waste their time with them could filter them out without having to
read them.

Matt D

In a message dated 2/17/08 8:02:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,