Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil

Hi Adam,

I built this same gap style for a small coil and it worked fine. I used a fan out of a microwave and coupled it to the pvc. Since this was low power I wasn't worried. I'm surprised your gap could handle better than 2kva even the the shop vac. Interesting.

Bart

Yurtle Turtle wrote:
I've run mine at 5 - 6 kVA with no problems:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/shopvac_gap.jpg

I hook it up to a Shop-vac and a variac. It prefers
pressure over vacuum. None of the fittings are glued,
which allows me to adjust the spacing easily.

Several years ago, during a Halloween run, I believe I
cranked it up to 10 or so kVA:

http://www.hot-streamer.com/adam/bigass_coil/Meltdown.jpg

It didn't like that, though the coil ran great until
the solder and PVC melted.

Adam

--- david baehr <dfb25@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

what size pipes ya using on yours ?    mine are 1"
dia, 'bout 4" long   with two good sized muff fans
for cooling,
it will stay stable for long runs at 3kva
,.....I used 2" dia in the past,...although they
stay cooler, the smaller dia seems to perform
better.......
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:08:38 -0800> From:
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Sphere Topload Coil> CC: > > Hi
David,> > I'm musing here as I haven't built a
pressurized gap.> > I personally love my high cfm
vacuum RQ style cylinder gap using large > segments,
which I can run near 3 kva with just fine.> > Take
care,> Bart>