Re: [TCML] Spark gap comparisons

In a message dated 2/23/2008 6:15:31 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>I think it's a worthy study but I don't think it can be  substantiated as
>a comparison of one type of gap against another  except in your two gaps.
>I think it's quite likely that others could  do the same comparison and
>come to different conclusions. And this is  the nature of spark gap
>comparisons I'm speaking of. I see spark gap  comparisons as very
>subjective to the gap itself, the coil being  driven, and the way it's
>being evaluated.

>Take  care,
>Bart

Bart,

I think that in probably all cases an NST powered  LTR coil under
2 or 3kW will give longer sparks using a 120 bps rotary or a
120 bps triggered gap than
using a static gap.  If the coil has a smaller (STR) cap,  then
it may do just as well using the static gap as with a  rotary,
because it's no longer necessary to fire at the peak  voltage for
best results.  Also such a coil may need an ASRG to  find
the sweet spot.  In coils that have non-shunted  transformers
the picture becomes more complex because the degree of
ballasting effects the input power, etc, and can enable  the
coil to perform at various break-rates, etc.  Regarding  how
the gap is being evaluated, I'm looking simply at max  spark
output.  If the gap heats up after awhile and the sparks  shrink,
then it's obvious more cooling is needed, or a re-design, etc.
Certainly a high powered coil will need a more robust spark
gap, etc.  Many of these things are just common sense
issues.  I consider the comparisons to be valid as long as
the sorts of things I mention are considered.  It would be
good to see more folks doing such comparisons however.

John

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)