Re: [TCML] Energy accumulation on TC.

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Bert Pool wrote:
> but what was utterly weird is that the UV from the gap caused the
> remaining liquid nitrogen to fluoresce with a beautiful pale blue light
> for about a full minute after the gap was turned off.  I have never seen
> a report anywhere else that liquid nitrogen can fluoresce.

A few years ago a grad student reported this on my site, but thought it
was associated with foam rubber rather than LN2:

  My partner in gradute school called it "The Gillespie Effect". At Rice
  University around 1990 I discovered a technique to create a "blue light
  source" which lasted up to several minutes from nothing but a piece of
  foam rubber. It happened during an experiment to measure semiconductor
  optical flourescence, when a piece foam rubber that was used to help
  secure a low temperature cryostat, was accidentally spashed with liquid
  nitrogen when the dewar was over filled . The frozen foam rubber was
  accidentally irradiated by UV light from low power Helium-Cadmiun laser
  (325 nm wavelngth)and a brilliant blue glow light formed right before
  before my eyes. It continued to emit blue light whuch was quite bright
  for 1-2 minutes even when the UV light was turned off! When I showed my
  co-workers, they coined it "The Gillespie Effect" aftet yours truely. We
  never persued trying to exploit the phenomenon for anything further
  because it didn't seem very practcal for most uses. We assume the blue
  was from the N2 emmission held by the frame work of the foam rubber, but
  it could be something more. It also worked with a mercury lamp source.
  It looked pretty cool the first time! Paul Gillespie Paul Gillespie
  <pgil64 at sign yahoo com > Allen, TX USA - Wednesday, October 13, 2004
  at 09:27:18 (PDT)

> Bert Pool
>

> Jim Lux wrote:
>
> > resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >

> >> Antonio:
> >>
> >> Has anyone ever immersed a Tesla oscillator in liquid nitrogen or other
> >> very cold substance to see what kind of Q and voltage gain is possible
> >> with super conductivity?
> >>

> > LN2 will reduce the resistance, but not to point of superconductivity
> > (unless you're using some exotic HTS alloy).

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  206-762-3138    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci