Strange Blue Glows Re: [TCML] Energy accumulation on TC.

We may be getting OT here, but....
>> but what was utterly weird is that the UV from the gap caused the
>> remaining liquid nitrogen to fluoresce with a beautiful pale blue light
>> for about a full minute after the gap was turned off.  I have never seen
>> a report anywhere else that liquid nitrogen can fluoresce.
>
>A few years ago a grad student reported this on my site, but thought it
>was associated with foam rubber rather than LN2:
>
>  My partner in gradute school called it "The Gillespie Effect". At Rice
>  University around 1990 I discovered a technique to create a "blue light
>  source" which lasted up to several minutes from nothing but a piece of
>  foam rubber. It happened during an experiment to measure semiconductor
>  optical flourescence, when a piece foam rubber that was used to help
>  secure a low temperature cryostat, was accidentally splashed with liquid
>  nitrogen when the dewar was over filled.

    My understanding is that 'decay of a plasma' can, depending on
    pressure/temperature/material take 'surprisingly' long times.

    I _think_ I have witnessed this in the special case of an
    incandescent lamp filament failing:
       The argon(or whatever) inside keeps glowing,
       perceptibly, for some few seconds.
    (The filament dumps energy into the fill gas as it fails...)
    Could be visual persistence, but i think not.

    best
     dwp