Re: [TCML] X-rays

Jim Mora wrote:
Hello List,

Since the subject has come up, I realize the x-rays generally are largely
formed in a vacuum; but, what about say a 150KV flaming Jacob's ladder (ac).
Controlled x-rays are generally are DC driven as well but that is for a
controlled anode/cathode. Are there other less obvious sources of X-rays
from some of our higher voltage/energy experiments? High Potential
Ionization is the issue yes? What about outside a vacuum?

HV+vacuum = Xrays

HV + no vacuum = no Xrays...

The Xrays come from accelerating a particle to a high speed and then having it hit something and stop: bremsstrahlung (braking radiation.. braking as in like the brakes on your car)

If the HV is in air, an ionized particle runs into other gas molecules so it can't get moving fast enough.

Yes, one can make Xrays in air in some  cases:

1) Get a discharge under high enough pressure and hot enough so that the it's emitting X-rays as black body radiation. Typical free burning arcs are in the 5000-7000K range, and their black body radiation is, as we've all observed, peaked in the visible, towards the blue end. In free burning air arcs, the air and arc expands to limit the temperature. Since radiation cooling goes as T^4, making it twice as hot takes 16 times the dissipated energy. And you need a lot more than twice as hot to get Xrays

2) With a discharge that has very, very high di/dt (rate of change of current), you can get xrays. Essentially what's going on is that the air heats fast enough that it can't expand, nor does it lose energy by radiation quickly enough. I can't recall the critical di/dt, but it's pretty high (10 to the multiple digits)

So, practically speaking, your ionizing radiation hazard from HV in air is ultra violet radiation.