Re: Strange Blue Glows Re: [TCML] Energy accumulation on TC.

In a message dated 2/29/08 10:14:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>I think what you observed as the tube was passed back to you is not
phosphor persistence - it's
>simply YOU retaining a static charge relative to the person who  handed you
the tube.

While the theory of a simple  static charge would set me at ease, the
observed phenomena was:

1. Coil was powered by a bank of NSTs totaling a 15/120mA. Static gap,
homemade plastic plate cap, helical primary, 5' tall  4" diameter  secondary, small
2" spherical topload. Nevertheless managed 30" arcs off  the secondary. This
was almost 20 years ago, so I didn't have access to all the  good info we now
have!

2. for several minutes (and on several occasions) I would draw arcs from  the
secondary to a screwdriver held in my hand. God knows what damaged that
might have caused. But the erroneous conventional wisdom at the time was that
such an activity was harmless. I *was* a bit uncomfortable when the spark gap
"stuttered" and modulated the output!

3. The fluorescent bulb (IIRC it was a T12 bi-pin, maybe only 24" or 36"
long - not the usual 4-footer?) was exposed to direct secondary arcs as well.

4. After the coil was shut off, I noticed a very faint glow on the
fluorescent bulb. Holding the bulb in the center, if I touched the end to my  abdomen
the bulb would flash for an instant. Pulling the bulb away, and  re-connecting
it to my abdomen would result in another flash every time. This  was through
my shirt, not even to bare skin. No rubbing or quick movements that  I could
easily attribute static to.

5. Passing the bulb to two other people who had been in the same room while
the coil was running, and who had even held the same bulb (but not conducted
the  topload sparks through it!) gave no flashes, no matter how they tried to
touch  the bulb to themselves or other objects.

6. Passing the bulb back to me resulted in a repeat of the same effect,
although the effect was already starting to diminish in intensity.

7. This was during the evening of a particularly humid summer day, not
conducive to static effects. In fact I never noticed any static accumulation on
the TC secondary, something I've noticed frequently with my more recent  coils.

    I could never come up with  a scientific explanation for the phenomena,
other than the TC had  somehow done something to *me*. After that I stopped
doing coiling for 15  years.

    Of course, I would love to know the mechanism,  but the experiment
doesn't seem like a polite one to perform on living  subjects.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)