Re: [TCML] solvents

I start with the freezer treatment overnight, then chip off a few chunks
and put some cracks into the frozen car with a chisel and hammer.

I usually use an old BBQ grill with charcoat.  I use an old flat cookie
pan, line with alum foil, and then prop the xmfr up on a few metal pieces.
  Sometimes, using welding gloves, I lift the xmfr to assist in pulling
out the core/coil assembly and sometimes I just let it cook 2-3 hrs.

After the freezer and some chips off the old block, the BBQ grill method
usually only takes 2-3 hrs at the most.

DC

> Dave,
>
> I did an experiment involving gasoline, tar, and a 55 gallon drum with
> good
> hot fire in it.
> Here is what I found:
>
> the gasoline that had tar in it acted much like diesel fuel.
>
> Of course, the obvious question is how much tar is dissolved in the
> gasoline.
>
> I melted the tar out of a large NST and cleaned everything over a period
> of
> days using about 3.5 gallons of gas.
> Gunk was precipitating out of the gas.  Gas was evaporating, even though
> ambient was about 40 F average.
> After all cleaning, rinsing with fresh gas, was done, I had  about 2
> gallons of black s__t.
>
> So happens there was a fire barrel established, so I began to dispose of
> the blacksh_t about a pint @ time.
> found that it did not flash, no hint of detonation.
> gas would made me a crispy critter.  Why was I brave (foolish)? because i
> witnessed an attempt to start the
> barrel using the black sh_t.  It is not volatile like gas.  I had a big
> clue, please don't call me stupid.
> I still walk and talk.  No coincidence.
>
> I set the rest of the tar solvent on a grill resting over the barrel.  It
> boiled, but did not light.  I  lit it off with an
> aerosol spray, nothing of note, the light ends were gone, basically a
> heavy
> diesel fire, a bit smokey,
> nothing like gas.
>
> Not disputing, just reporting
>
> Absolutely sincere,
>
> Marko
>
>>As a professional firefighter for nearly 20 years now my obvious
>>main concern with gasoline is not its economic feasability as a
>>solvent but its high volatility and flammability when handled care-
>>lessly. Although nearly everyone is well aware of the flammability of
>>gasoline, some people tend to forget that the heavier-than-air fumes can
>>spread out a considerable distance from the liquid fuel
>>source and can find any source of ignition that could have easily
>>been overlooked (i.e. water heater pilot light), and ignite explo-
>>sively. Remember, gasoline has a flashpoint of -45*F, so it will
>>produce very ignitable vapors at virtually any ambient operational
>>temperature. And once gasoline is ignited, it burns with a thermal yield
>>of approximately 34 MegaJoules/ liter (which is actually LESS thermal
>>yield than that of less refined petroleum products like kerosene, heating
>>oil, or diesel) but since gasoline ignites so readily, thanks to its very
>>low flashpoint temperature, and since it burns so rapidly once ignited,
>>this makes it a solvent choice of
>>considerable danger, from a fire safety point of view. Sorry for the
>>run-on sentence but the bottom line is that if you do choose to use
>>gasoline for this purpose (I've been guilty of doing it myself),
>>then please be very fire safety conscious!
>>
>>David Rieben

Dr. Resonance