Re: [TCML] Baffle tally (was Secondary Troubles)

Yes, they suddenly become baffles when they are placed inside the winding length. However, placement maybe better at about 1/4 of the coil length from each end. At least, if I used them, that's about the spot I would put them.

Take care,
Bart

Quarkster wrote:
Kris -
Would two epoxy-sealed sealed "endcaps" inside each secondary not qualify as sealed baffles? Or by definition if they are flush with the ends of the coilform they're "end-plugs" or "end caps", but if they are located 2" inboard of the ends of the coilform they suddenly become baffles? Regards,
  Herr Zapp

Kris Grillo <kristianisawesome@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I have wound 6 secondaries. 5 of them on PVC. All PVC forms were dried under heat lamps, sanded with 400 grit, cleaned and coated several times inside and out with poly. From this point, the forms where only handled with gloved hands until wound and completely coated with 20 or so coats of poly. All coils have end caps cut from 1/2" plywood coated with several coats of poly. These are epoxied in place. I use nylon bolts through the end caps for coil and top load mounting. Nothing conductive inside any of the coil forms what so ever. All of my coils produce arcs at least as long as the secondary winding up to 2.5x the length.I have never used internal baffles. I have never had any flash over trouble (inside or out) with any of my coils, except for the occasional racing spark along the outside surface during initial tuning.