Re: [TCML] nst

It is true that the laminations are used to prevent losses (heat) from eddy currents. However, I would assume that a localized connection of the laminations, as might occur from drilling/milling the laminations, would only cause a localized loss where the laminations touched, and wouldn't be a significant source of loss as you would get if all surfaces were touching (as would be the case if the laminations were not dipped in whatever they dip them in to electrically isolate them from each other).

That is my assumption, anyway. I am assuming this for several reasons, one of which is the fact that microwave oven transformers have the laminations welded together, which definitely shorts out the laminations in the weld area.

This is something that I have always wanted to try, removing (by drilling, I don't have a mill yet) some material from the shunts in a transformer in which the shunts are extensions of each lamination sheet. If you have or can obtain an extra NST, you might consider trying this by removing some material from the integral shunts in stages, recording your observations of short-circuit current generated at each stage, in order to quantify the effect.

Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "douglas smith"

I've been informed that i cant simply use my mill and carefully drill out material where the shunts should be. i had always thought that the lamination's were simply
a part of the fabrication process.
having worked with sheet metal its easier to make a big piece out of multiple smaller pieces than to have to machine solid pieces. That was my thinking anyway. i didn't realize that drilling through them would essentially short out the laminates,
but i guess it does make sense.