AW: AW: [TCML] Setting up for the first time

Hello Bart,
Thank you for that clear, complete info for procedere that takes in acount
individual electrode geometrie. One final question left: At what NST input
voltage shall this adjustment be done? As the coil system is occasionally (?
or often..) run with 10 to max. 20% autotransformer boost; shall maingap be
adjusted at maximum planned NST input voltage or just nominal voltage?
(of course acounted/assumed that MMC`s voltage rating is up to that boost..)
Thank you in advance for answer,
Yes, I take care,  Fritz

 www.egli-racing.ch

Re: AW: [TCML] Setting up for the first time

Hello Fritz,

We all have our methods for this and we vary slightly on some things.

I personally would recommend taking the static gap and the NST to a
table. Connect the static gap across the high voltage terminals of the
NST and set the static gap to it's widest setting. Then power up the
NST. The gap will likely not be conducting. Begin reducing the gap width
until the gap conducts consistently each time you power up the NST. This
will be a good setting for your gap. The reason I recommend this method
is that electrode material, air pressure, and electrode size will change
the gap distance requirements to fire at the NST's output voltage. By
taking the static gap and NST alone and adjusting the gap, those basic
items are accounted for and help ensure you don't set the gap too wide.
Dr. R's values of 0.18 to 0.2 inch are right in the ballpark for most
gaps, but because we don't know the electrode size, it is best to ensure
a proper gap distance.

BTW, a proper gap distance for a static gap is as large a gap distance
that can be obtained without risking over voltage of the MMC rating or
the NST. The NST is usually the biggest concern.

A coil will fire a static gap at wider settings, but will cause
excessive voltage to be felt back across the NST and can cause a high
voltage short inside the NST on one of the internal coils. So to keep
the coil operating within it's limits, this approach is best (IMO). It
is important to provide a healthy air flow across the static gap when
it's running in the coil. Failure to do so will result in the gap
electrodes getting very hot. This will cause the gap voltage to conduct
at lower voltages and results in a low coil performance.

Take care,
Bart