Re: [TCML] Primary selfC

Hi Phil,

Yes, you may be right. It's really hard to say (or we would have a definitive answers). It is isotropic. I thought about the first turn issue, but ignored it (purposely). It complicates things and C would have been slightly less. Probably closer to a 3 turn primary versus the 4 turn stated. But something else that needs to be understood is the size of this 1mm spaced, 4 turn, 2" width, ribbon coil. It has a large "surface area" to it's adjacent turn. C is going to be large, but maybe not as large as plate C would indicate.

Like I mentioned to Gary, I looked at the ribbon as a geometrical equivalent to a rolled cap (but starting it's first turn at 22" diameter). Rather interesting. I commend Chris for pushing us into this rarely discussed capacitive physics.

This is one of those areas that we as coilers should be the experts by this point. We're not! And it's 2008! So, lets take a week out of our lives and make it so. Paul will no doubt shed valuable insight into these physics. But even with that insight, we "must" measure to confirm. So, I think it is prudent of you and I (and anyone) up to the task to measure Fres on a coil of similar geometry and deduce C from L. I will attempt this when my ribbon primary is finished.

Best regards,
Bart