Re: [TCML] Connecting the primary

On Monday 28 July 2008 11:26:43 am Jeremy Scott wrote:
> I'm just looking for some ideas on how to make solid connections from the
> tank circuit to the primary coil.
>
> Specifically, I'm using 1/0# AWG stranded copper flexible 'welding cable'
> for the tank cap-to-gap wiring (about .5" wire diameter, .32 conductor) and
> .25" copper pipe for the primary.
>
> Just wondering what I could use connect the wire to the center fixed point
> and also some kind of adjustable tap. For the cap and gap I'm using 1/0#
> lugs with a 3/8" hole and 3/8" electrodes and 3/8" bolts so that works out
> all nicely.

I use a mechanical lug and a piece of copper strap formed around a bolt for a
clamp. The strap fits around the primary tubing, and the ends hang down like
tabs. These tabs have a hole through them through which a bolt is passed,
also passing through the mounting hole of the lug. Loosening the nut will
allow enough play to slide a bit between primary supports. It is easy enough
to dissassemble  to move beyond a primary support. While not as quick and
easy to adjust as some form of clip on connection, it does serve as a secure,
solid, low loss connection.

later
deano