From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of dr.hankenstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 7:47 AM
To: James Zimmerschied
Subject: [TCML] Re: VTTC Sound Generation

Jim

First of all, I am assuming you are using a MOT with or without a level
shifter on your VTTC. (That part doesn't really matter) and you are
obtaining good sparks in CW mode, but when you connect the Staccato
controller to the circuit, the sparks are "wimpy"?  Maybe you have even
adjusted the "duty cycle" control to no avail? The duty cycle control also
seems to act like a "phasing control" and not only tells the tube how long
to stay on, but when to come on. The tube can only conduct during the
positive part of the wave, so if you try to turn it on at the wrong time
(such as during the negative portion of the cycle), it simply won't conduct,
or if it does, the output will be very wimpy at best. Maybe it's just a
phasing problem:Try reversing the staccato controller supply transformer's
leads. This will shift the pulse phasing 180 degrees and the run the duty
cycle control through it's paces. Also, I have noticed that some of the
staccato schematics out there do not provide en
 ough duty cycle when built as shown. You may want to  play around with
that. Still others have "bust mode" and other sorts of bling which I find
totally unnecessary.

Personally, I am using a 40amp / 800volt SCR. I have used a 40amp / 600volt
Triac with the same output results. However, if using an SCR, you need the
swamp the gate to kathode with a 390ohm-1/2W resistor in parallel with a
.01uf ceramic cap and the series-limit the 12V pulses from the Steve Ward
board with about a 100~150 ohm resistor to the gate. You'll have to
experiment with this value for consistent results. I did notice, if using a
triac, you can get away without any resistors or caps at all.