From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Phillip Slawinski
Sent: Friday, June 06, 2008 3:53 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] Ceramic MMC?

A local Electronics shop near me went out of buisness recently.  They
were selling their entire stock at half off or better.  I managed to
pick up 222 10000V 1000pf Ceramic capacitors for about $50.  They're
red discs about 3/4" in diameter and 1/4" thick.  I've made a small
mmc ~ .01 uf and it seems to perform with the exception of some arcing
between the buss wires.

My question is if these ceramic capacitors are going to perform poorly
with RF.  I've established that they are pretty durable, and seem to
put up with TC abuse.  Should I build the rest of my MMC with these
caps, or am I wasting my time?

I don't know the manufacturer of these caps, but I'm fairly certain
they're ceramic.  They're quite dense for their size and it looks like
they have some sort of glaze on them.