Re: [TCML] Series Transformers

Phil,

I've heard of miniature tabletop TCs that ran with a 4 kV neon sign transformer, but I think that 9 kV is about the minimum for most typical coils that would be running in the 2.3 kW range. At a low voltage like your transformers would provide, it becomes very difficult to set the spark gap -- the voltage is just too narrow to jump a reasonably wide gap. You need a transformer string with more voltage, and you could make do with less current. Dr. Resonance has a good set of plans that works with a 9 kV 30 mA neon sign transformer. Most coilers work up to a 14.4 kV pole pig driven backward. After you get to 14.4 kV, then builders get more power by increasing current, (more KVA), not by adding voltage. Beyond 14.4 kV, corona losses start to get problematic, and capacitors get expensive. You might want to start looking for microwave oven transformers to make a 4 or 6 MOT stack. Some list members have made some impressive coils with even a 4 MOT stack. Check the curb on trash day, the local junkyard, or your local recycling center. Many appliance stores or repair shops may have a stack of them out back that you can have for the asking. The biggest, oldest microwave ovens usually have the best transformers. Try to find the dinosaur Amana RadaRange or Litton units from the early 80's. They have monster 2 kW transformers in them, a far cry from the 700 watt toy transformers in the contemporary Sanyo ovens that always seem to be in like new condition when I scrap them. Might want to start stocking up soon. With the increasing price of scrap copper and other metals, some localities are beginning to keep their scrap. I've recently been forbidden to salvage anything from the village recycling dumpster. Good thing I've stocked up over the past several years, but I'm currently suffering from acute salvage withdrawal, and it sure ain't pretty!

Dave

Phillip Slawinski wrote:
I have a nice variac 20A rated and 0-270V output with 120V in.  I was able
to wire them in series and ran them up to 2970V @ 800mA.  Is 2970V too low
to run a TC efficiently?