[TCML] IGBT use with a coil

This is pure "sitting at work speculation" but I've been thinking about IGBTs and their use in a coil. Am I right that these things can replace a spark gap?

If they can, would it be possible to fire them using a microcontroller (suitably isolated) and change the frequency electronically to optimize the discharge from the secondary coil? (I'm a big fan of the Arduino MPU, as some of you know...)

Am I right that traditionally we need to tune the coil to the output frequency of the spark gap...? Or do we tune a spark gap to the coil?

Does that make any sense?

As I say, I'm just thinking things over at work...

Steve

Stephen Hobley Photography
www.stephenhobley.com
317 201 4281