Re: [TCML] Primary angles

Simon,

For regular spark gap coils, a flat primary works well. For a DRSSTC it is
desireable to have a tighter coupling so a coned primary or cylinder
style primary is usually used.  VTTC's usually use cylinder primaries,
but I've used flattish coned primaries also.

A coned primary can be used for a spark gap coil but may tend to
over-couple unless the secondary coil is raised up some to reduce
the coupling.  Over-coupling will cause racing sparks along the
secondary.  The use of a flat primary may also reduce the chance
of arc strikes to the primary.

If proper coupling is allowed for, then a variety of primary designs
can be made to work well.  I used to use slightly coned primaries
about 15 degrees from flat.  Now I use only flat primaries for
spark gap coils.

My TT-42 coil and other coils can be seen at my website at:

  http://futuret.110mb.com

John

---------