Re: [TCML] tunning effected by power output

Hi Roger,

Yes it is true, but the amount of L needed to tune the coil for the streamer load isn't the same for each coil. Just as inductances vary between coils, so does the needed increase in primary inductance. The streamer affect on a coil is dependent on the coil itself (some coils are affected more than others). Much of it has to do with the streamer length (and power itself affects this) and also the capacitive affect the streamer has on the coil depending on streamer position, LC ratio at the primary, etc.. Streamer loads vary some at each breakout (length and relative position to the coil and ground).

Programs (and tuners) are not yet accounting for streamer load. To do that, we need to model a rod mounted to the top load. I've tried using top load objects in Javatc for this, but object are naturally placed center of the coil and won't accurately model a streamer. We need a rod object with horizontal adjustment to the coil in order to make this happen. I think then the program could model streamer loads.

Take care,
Bart

Roger Smith wrote:
With my larger coil, I like to tune the primary while running the coil at a reduced power so there will be less stress on things if it is out of tune but I have noticed that when I go up to higher power after I have tuned at low power I get better performance if I move the tap out for one more turn on the primary. This isn't too surprising to me. The discharge must be acting like a top load on the coil but I was just wondering if everyone else has noticed the same thing with their coils. Incase it matters, this is a rotary spark gap coil that runs at about 12 kva max. The toroid is rather big, 4' by 1' .