From: bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Very High Voltage Polystyrene Caps on e-bay
Date: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 8:08 PM

Gary, in this case the terminations are interesting (as if a screw is
inserted on these caps in their end plates). Looks like the end caps are
thread nuts of a sort. Promising from that view.

And from a "puny" view, I have to tell you that I have been using
polystyrene caps for 10 years now with no warmth, failure, or even
performance degradation. But my caps are 20nF, 60kV, and maybe a bit
special. The caps are cylinder shaped and 3" diameter x 16.5"L with a

huge 3/8" brass threaded rod protruding about 1.5" out of each end.
Even
the nuts are silver plated. These were made by CSI (I have 3 of them).
So nothing puny there as their obviously built for high current.

It's the mechanical internal construction that is really in question
with the caps Greg listed. I did note that some of the other caps the
seller had were similar, but those had leads as part of the
construction. However, the cap Greg listed were like threaded inserts at
each end. The leads would probably be fine, but it was interesting to
see no leads on this particular cap.

Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
> I agree with everything that Bart said.  But, all of the polystyrene caps
that I gave seen (I have not looked extensively) have had very puny end
terminations.  I think that polystyrene caps are mainly used tor temperature
stability, as opposed to high current capability.

http://cgi.ebay.com/50kV-10nF-High-Voltage-Polystyrene-capacitor-HAM-

>> audio_W0QQitemZ150269299882QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150269299882&_t
>> rkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_
>> trksid=p3286.c0.m14
>>
>>> Polystyrene is one of the "good" pulse cap dielectrics,
right?  I wonder if one of