Re: [TCML] Very High Voltage Polystyrene Caps on e-bay

I picked these up from my contact at CSI. Yes, they are custom caps (nothing even close on the their website). They were built for a customer and for one reason or another, CSI got stuck with them (been sitting on a shelf for a while). The contact at CSI (name escapes me as it's been over 10 years now), but he is the one that told me they were polystyrene. Because the company I worked for at the time bought hundreds hv pulse caps from CSI that they were pleased to throw me a bone. I talked about the application (they were well aware of Tesla coils) and he thought these would perform very well. I was extremely lucky (and extremely happy) to be given these caps.

Take care,
Bart

Quarkster wrote:
Bart -
It sounds like your CSI caps were probably a "customer special", and not a standard CSI catalog item. One question: how do you know the dielectric is polystyrene, and not polyester, polypropylene, polycarbonate or some of the other "poly" materials that are used as dielectrics in special-purpose capacitors? Regards,
Herr Zapp