Re: [TCML] JAVATC primary inductance calculator

Hi Chris,

Yes, that is getting a bit low for the meter. As far as program accuracy, no. Adding more decimals does not increase accuracy and the fact that your getting down to a single turn is likely going to worsen the deal. The resistivity I did change to 1.71 to reflect resistivity at room temp for common annealed copper. Keep in mind, resistivity changes with temperature, and the ribbon calculator isn't looking at temperature. Your mileage will vary from day to day.

Regards,
Bart

Chris Swinson wrote:
Hi Bart,

My meter I doubt will go below 1uH. Its a problem to read 10uH, maybe 1uH, but its not going to measure any lower (no more digits!)

Parallel turns may work, would help with resistance also I suppose. Though as each progressive layer will be a fraction longer, its hard to say how this will effect the current profile though each inductor. at 10KA and 2 layers, I don't know if the current will favour the inner turn as its less resistance than the outer turn....

I am currently working down to 0.0000146ohms. Is it possible to get anymore accuracy in your flat ribbon calculator ? maybe down to several decimal places ?

I'm having problems with Rho constant, think you had 1.675 ones on the net seem to be 1.7 to 1.74... I've been working to 1.7 as I do not expect the copper to be pure, so looking at worse case figures again with 1.7 (I hope!)

Regards,
Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "bartb" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2008 7:37 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] JAVATC primary inductance calculator

Hi Chris,

This will also affect mutual inductance, but by how much, who knows. If
your down to 1uH, it's obviously a single turn ribbon. Based on your
previous data weeks ago and this time using only 1 turn, then about
1.15uH is what I showed. For any type of accuracy, best to rely on your
LCR meter.

For lowering L, you could try 2 strips in parallel and measure. I'm not
sure how this will play out with a single turn like, but your meter will
tell you.

Regards,
Bart