Re: [TCML] JAVATC primary inductance calculator

Hi Chris,

From 4uH to 1uH is pretty extreme, but yes there is a big difference between ribbon and round conductors. Javatc does not run ribbon style primaries (yet). Your the one that pointed out the inductance differential on your 4 turn ribbon primary. At the time I looked and confirmed the difference myself, then wrote Paul. Kurt also verified my numbers. Paul then went back and used four parallel wire filaments spaced across the width of the ribbon, connected in parallel. He was then able to get a reasonable number. But the initial try using a round conductor showed the inductance far too high. Javatc simply cannot do ribbons at this time.

Given that your primary previously was 18uH and now your talking about 1uH, maybe you could share the new primary design specs (for a 2nd pair of eyes to take a look).

Regards,
Bart

Chris Swinson wrote:
Hi Bart,

In JavaTC I get 4uH primary inductance, but in your strap calculator I got 1uH.. I know the strap one is right, I know JAVATC is not crunching using strap, but just checking whets going on there it says the primary is 4uH which does not agree with the strap calculator even though I assumed a strap of 0.25" and dia of 0.25" in JAVATC...

Regards,
Chris