From: Sfxneon@xxxxxxx
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 1:05 am
Subject: [TCML] New Torroid

Hello coilers,

I've been tweaking on my bombarder powered, static vacuum aspirated gap, 8" x 33" coil, and I just replaced the smaller torroid stack with a much larger 8" aluminum flex duct torroid measuring 42" in major diameter. I also went from 27nF to 40nF and moved the primary tap in a round or two, and upped the input power to 200-300mA or so. Initial tests were very successful once the correct height above the last winding was found, but because of the longer arcs

there was more of a tendency for primary strikes. Raising the torroid helps, but field control goes out the window and it wants to break out at the top winding. But when it's dialed in, arc length went from about 6 feet to around
8' or 9'. Still, too many primary strikes for comfort.

I've heard that by placing a small torroid or corona ring at the top winding will suppress breakout there so that the main torroid can be elevated high enough away from the primary to reduce strikes. Would one of my smaller 3" or 4" torroids help with field control at the top winding, allowing the big one
to be elevated a foot or more above that?

Also, the new torroid is supported by an "X" shaped support of 1" strap
steel on edge, centered inside the torroid. Would it add significantly to the capacitance to fill in the center with a 26" round piece of sheet metal? The coil has no problem breaking out now, so a bit more 'C' might help even more.

Thanks,

Tony Greer