Re: [TCML] Re: Discovery Mythbusters - Liquid Stun Gun using coil

Hi Greg, all,

I recorded that segment, and watched it several times to see just what was
going on in the background. I figured that the salt water was what was  causing
the bright orange flashes between the primary turns when I saw  all that
water on the floor. Funny how the coil seemed to never skip a  beat, though.

Interesting how the water stream acts like a breakout point and directs the
arcs in the direction that it's pointed. The arc seems to start at the end of
the contiguous stream of water a few feet from the coil, but it looked like
the  water stream itself was also illuminated a bright red or orange color. Was
it  vaporizing some of the sodium in the salt water, turning the arc red, or
was it  just red colored water? Even the slo-mo video looks like the arcs
start out  red and change to blue a couple of feet from the coil.

For those that missed it, Mythbusters was exploring the possibility of
making a taser which used two jets of water instead of wires to deliver the
charge. They started out by powering it with a stun gun, and in true Mythbuster
fashion, took it to the extreme by visiting Greg's Nevada Lightning Lab and
climbing inside the topload of his 18 foot tall TC with a big water gun.  The arcs
were directed with the water stream at a dummy 'perpetrator',  which caused
several strikes to hit it. Not at all practical, but an interesting  experiment
with a big TC.

Thanks for your reply Greg, and for allowing Mythbusters the use of your
lab. It must have been a really fun day with Jamie and Adam around!

Tony Greer

In a message dated 9/19/2008 4:00:51 P.M. Central  Daylight Time,