From: Christopher Karr <chriskarr4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla Pupman List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [TCML] Chris Bohrs' RF burn
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 08:34:48 -0700

Dex,

Well, Tesla coils are naturally dangerous, since you don't even have to touch the internal parts in order for said parts to shock you. There are fairly high-energy capacitors in medium sized Tesla coils, and very high energy capacitors in larger Tesla coils.

Let's see, a .1µF capacitor rated at 35KV and charging to 20KV is delivering a pulse of 40J at 20KV in less than one-hundred microseconds, resulting in an RMS current of much greater than one-hundred amps per pulse. So yes, Tesla coils are very dangerous. But if you've ever touched a streamer on a lower-powered SGTC, you know that they aren't going to kill you, regardless of how long you held your hand there.

You could hold your hand there until the coil died (for me that would be around five minutes!) and you wouldn't have much more damage than you began with, maybe a burn spot on your finger and a tingling arm, and of course that brain damage you started out with. (not a personal insult, just saying that if you're going to draw streamers to yourself for five minutes straight you're pretty unintelligent) Perhaps there would be some nerve damage.

All of the mortal danger is in the primary circuit.

Christopher