RE: [TCML] Secondary GF Requirements

Matthew,

Does the transformer have large ceramic insulators and metal screws extruding from them? If so, it is likely to be usable for a Tesla coil, but not in its current state.

For a tesla coil, it must NOT conform to secondary ground fault requirements, because the ground fault requirements force the transformer companies to install over-current protection, as well as protection that makes capacitive coupling ineffective.

If it is over the 'big, tar-filled box with ceramic insulators' variety, you will need to open up the case and get the protection circuit out, then re-attach the wires that lead to said protection circuit so that there's no short-circuit and the transformer's primary is properly wired.

It may pay off to search the archives before posting. (Forgive me if they're still not functioning)

Christopher