From: Dex Dexter <dexterlabs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Dec 15, 2009 3:24 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re:Pros and cons

But,the question here isn't how long arcs can tesla transformer
(of any type) generate for optimum BPS rates and fixed powers.
The question is rather how long arcs tesla transformers can generate
given  output voltages and resonant frequencies!
I asked the question before for aprox 100 kV output and nobody knew
to answer (except Dr.R who suggested lenghts around 4 ft).

At least I found the material relevant for VTTCs below 100 kV and 500 kHz.

See here:
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/dexdex666/p124-125.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss118/dexdex666/hfgaps.jpg

Do you see why is operating frequency important for VTTCs?
I guess the most "voltage efficient"  VTTC frequncy is between 200 kHz and 400
kHz.
In VTTC coiling higher frequencies (>500 kHz) are not desirable
becouse the coil parts start to consume more power (overall efficiency drops)
,and frequencies below 50 kHz develop too high output  voltages causing coil
insulation problems.

For SGTCs or DRSSTCs I have got no clue except the resonant frequency is
less important.

Dex