Re: [TCML] aluminum magnet wire

bartb wrote:
jimlux wrote:
Sure, the unloaded Q of the secondary is 2/3 (as expected.. Al conductivity is about 2/3 that of Cu).. but since the loaded Q of a TC is around 10, clearly most of the losses are elsewhere.

Yes, but only during spark loading. Q is bouncing between loaded and unloaded while running. I'm not sure it would matter much, but it might. This is one of those rare experiments where two identical coils could be compared without worrying too much about other affects. The coil would function, but I'm not sure that the losses would incur much spark length difference. I don't remember anyone trying it. If there's a substantial cost savings, then it's certainly worth trying out.

Well then, since MWS Wire is about a mile from me, it's time to give them a call and see if I can get some to try it out.

Jim