Re: [TCML] TAR

Ed,

BTW, we use Epic Resins. Very knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly.
http://www.epicresins.com/

Bart

bartb wrote:
Hi Ed,

I'm not sure where to get the compound used say in NST's, but there are vast resources of manufacturers that manufacturer electronic grade potting compounds. Thermal conductivity, hardness, and flammability, are a few parameters to consider. They also make compounds for HV use (I think a silicone base). Here is a site that does pretty well at explaining the various compounds available. Problem #1 is cost.
http://www.pottingsolutions.com/

At work, we had issues with corrosion in an electronic box used on city buses in a particular model where the box was subjected to "massive moisture". I redesigned the board with vertical fuse towers (1.75" ht) and used an electronic grade potting compound with a low hardness (like a soft rubber). It is simply a 2 part epoxy poored in the box to 1/4" below the top of the fuse towers. In this case, I used a low hardness epoxy to prevent surface mount components from ripping off the board during cure and shrinkage. In a transformer potting application, that would be going overboard.

Anyway, it is a good idea to call and talk with the experts if you are really seeking a potting compound. They could give the best advice about this.

Take care,
Bart

Ed Phillips wrote:
Does anyone know where to get the type of black "tar" used to pot transformers? Does anyone know the actual temperature at which it's poured into the transformers? Did a web search but got nowhere and suspect that roofing tar or pitch probably isn't suitable. I want to pot a couple of GMHEI transformers in a cylinder to simulate the secondary of a "spark coil" and don't want to mess with oil or the like. Paraffin wax doesn't work, at least for me, because of too many bubbles - I've tried pretty hard to get rid of them [with the exception of vacuum] without much luck.

Ed